Friday, May 4, 2012

K - k - k - k - k - KATHMANDU, THAT'S REALLY REALLY WHERE i'M GOING TO

Have stuffed myself silly with all the great food at old favorites in Kathmandu, drunk a lot of wine & rum/cokes in my old haunts and been remarkably restrained in my souvenir purchasing (although only because I will be back in June and can stock up then). There are some 100%! Yak! Wool! blankets that are calling my name. If you want one too, email me your desired color scheme and I'll pick one up for you on my way home in June.

Have replaced the tasseled hat I lost at the Journey concert last Fall, replenished my supply of incense-scented Buddha-eye notepaper . . . and stocked up on a couple CANS of CHEESE. Yum. Yum. Yum. I would never buy it at home (and don't even know that it exists), it is ridiculously wonderful here.

Although haven't been in KTM for over 5 years, it felt like coming home. It's the "same, same, but different." There is still power loading, but the Thamel roads are paved. I'm staying in the exact same room at the Holy Lodge where people coming down the stairs can look in my uncovered bathroom window, but there's a swanky new restaurant area and a sweet little roof terrace. The Northfield is still dishing out awesome breakfast burritos, but Weitzen's chocolate cookies were stale little hockey pucks. Closed down both Tom & Jerry's and Sam's, but there is now a curfew and everybody out by 11:45 PM and the police now carry guns vs. sticks.

Was wonderful to see my sis Nic Morgan at Sam's last night for our big reunion!!!!! Haven't seen each other since Helsinki about 2-1/2 years ago, but worth the wait. FUN FUN FUN, but can't afford the Arcadia anymore:-)

This time tomorrow I will be in Bhutan and I can't wait for the next adventure!

xo

No comments:

Post a Comment